- BCEM 547 - Signal Transduction and Regulation of Metabolism
- BCEM 403 - Biochemistry Laboratory Techniques II
Research and teaching
Protein Phosphatases in Cell Signalling
Our primary goal is to define the role of protein phosphatases in cellular events in response to both intra- and extra-cellularly derived signals. Protein phosphorylation is a common means to control protein function and regulates essentially every aspect of cell biology. We use a combination of biochemistry, molecular cell biology, bioinformatics and proteomics to investigate both human and plant phosphatase function. Current projects include cell cycle control by type one protein phosphatases, novel plant PPP-type phosphatases, protein phosphatase evolution, plant starch phosphatases and proteomics of PP1-complexes.
- Amr R.A. Kataya, Douglas G. Muench and Greg B. Moorhead (2019) A Framework to Investigate Peroxisomal Protein Phosphorylation in Arabidopsis. Trends in Plant Sci, 24: 366-81.
- Anne-Marie Labandera, R. Glen Uhrig, Keaton Colville, Greg B. Moorhead and Kenneth K.S. Ng (2018) Structural basis for the preference of the Arabidopsis thaliana phosphatase RLPH2 for tyrosine-phosphorylated substrates. Sci. Signal. 11 http://stke.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/sigtrans;11/524/eaan8804?ijk...
- Isha Nasa, Scott F. Rusin, Arminja N. Kettenbach, & Greg B. Moorhead (2018) Aurora B opposes PP1 function in mitosis by phosphorylating the conserved PP1-binding RVxF motif in PP1 regulatory proteins. Sci. Signal. 11. http://stke.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/sigtrans;11/530/eaai8669?ijk...
This paper is recommended in F1000Prime as being of special significance in its field by F1000 Faculty Member Mark Dell’Acqua https://f1000.com/prime/733248607?subscriptioncode=2f84aaf6-18ea-4fa4-98...
This also got a second recommendation by F1000 Faculty Member Dr. Hiro Yamano: https://f1000.com/prime/733248607?ref=ypp&utm_medium=email&utm_source=pr...
- Chris White-Gloria, Jayde J Johnson, Kayla Marritt, Amr Kataya, Ahmad Vahab and Greg B Moorhead (2018) Protein kinases and phosphatases of the plastid and their potential role in starch metabolism. Frontiers in Plant Science July 2018 | Volume 9 | Article 1032 https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2018.01032/full
- Isha Nasa, Laura Trinkle-Mulcahy, P. Douglas, Sibapriya Chaudhuri, S.P. Lees-Miller, Kyung S. Lee, Greg Moorhead. (2017) Recruitment of PP1 to the centrosomal scaffold protein CEP192. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 484(4)-864-870
- R. Glen Uhrig, Anne-Marie Labandera, Lay-Yin Tang, Nicolas Sieben, Marilyn Goudreault, Edward Yeung, Anne-Claude Gingras, Marcus Samuel, and Greg Moorhead. (2017) Activation of mitochondrial protein phosphatase SLP2 by MIA40 regulates seed germination. Plant Physiology 173(2):956-969.
- R. Glen Uhrig, Anne-Marie Labandera, Jamshed Muhammad, Marcus Samuel, and Greg Moorhead (2016) Rhizobiale-like phosphatase 2 from Arabidopsis thaliana is a novel phospho-tyrosine specific PPP-family protein phosphatase. J. Biol. Chem. 291: 5926-5934
- David Kerk, Dylan Silver, Glen Uhrig and Greg Moorhead (2015) "PP2C7s", genes most highly elaborated in photosynthetic organisms, reveal the bacterial origin and stepwise evolution of PPM/PP2C protein phosphatases. PLoS ONE 10(8): e0132863.
- Anne-Marie Labandera, Ahmad R. Vahab, Sibapriya Chaudhuri, David Kerk and Greg Moorhead (2015) The mitotic PP2A regulator ENSA/ARPP-19 is remarkably conserved across plants and most eukaryotes Biochem. Biophys. Research Comm. 458:739-744.
- 2006 - University of Calgary International Fellowship
- 2006 - Canadian Society of Plant Biology CD Nelson prize(outstanding res. contributions as independent investigator for less than 10 years
- 2005 - Killam Resident Fellowship