How can the administrative staff help you?
Keys must be requested in advance by a faculty member and are picked up at our office in Earth Sciences 118. There is a cash-only refundable deposit of $40 required for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students. Please note that you must retain a copy of your receipt to receive a refund on your key deposit.
If you require swipe card access to doors in the geoscience department, please complete the access request form.
Faculty members who make frequent purchases should apply for a purchasing card (PCard). If you need to purchase something non-technical and your group doesn’t have a PCard, please fill out the e-procurement requisition form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be processed through our main office.
Prior to completing this form:
- Ensure the requisition form is complete (project/account information, price, quote if applicable, etc.)
- Obtain approval of the account holder
- Review the University of Calgary supply chain management policy
- Ensure you provide the proper accounting information
11: Internally restricted research
12: Internally restricted non-research
60: Externally restricted research
12340: Department of Geoscience
12342: Geoscience administration (department operating budget)
Refer to the general ledger. Account numbers for purchasing typically begin with 6XXXX.
Use to track a specific expense when an internal code has been set up in the budget.
Can be search by the project owner through efin.
Activity codes are added to projects to track subcategories. If no activity code is set up, use 00000.
Once the form is complete, the main office will assist you by:
- Booking the vehicle
- Liaising with the rental company
- Providing a confirmation number
To view the policies associated with renting a vehicle, please visit the rental vehicles page.
48 hours notice is required for vehicle rentals.
All about the department truck (fleet vehicle 484)
- 2018 Ford Super Duty F250XL with locking cap and towing package.
- Off-road 4x4 with rugged all-terrain/all weather tires; minimum required (level terrain) height clearance of 82 inches.
- Parked in lot 21 behind the Math Sciences building.
- Availability is viewable on the department truck calendar.
- Department usage (i.e. field schools) has highest priority.
- Usage charge is a minimum $15 flat fee for 90 minutes or $40/day, plus fuel.
- The truck can be booked three months in advance for a maximum of one week per month per research group. (If no other group has booked the truck the week before, a group can extend their use to more than a week.)
- Report all issues to the front desk in ES 118 immediately.
It is the responsibility of the primary driver to:
- Obtain the key and trip sheet (if applicable) from the front desk in ES 118.
- Perform a pre-trip check/walk-around of the vehicle and report any issues immediately to the front desk in ES 118.
- At the end of your trip, ensure the truck is clean and the gas tank is full.
- return key and trip sheet to the front desk in ES 118.
A fuel card is in the truck for use at the motor pool’s gas pump (lot 53), but your UCID needs to be registered with Lee Ferrari prior to first use.
Failure to abide by the above responsibilities may result in withdrawal of department truck privileges.
Letters and packages are sent through the geoscience main office ES118.
Mail a letter
In order to avoid a delay in shipping:
- Deliver your envelope to reception by 1:30 p.m. (Or it will be picked up next day.)
- Include the full street address (couriers will not accept postal box numbers), contact name and telephone number of receiver.
- Specify service standard (arrive by next day, two business days, no rush, etc.) Depending on receiving country, rush shipping may not be available.
Courier a package
Please supply information below:
Number of packages being shipped
Approximate weight of each package
Approximate dimensions of each package
Value of each package
Contents of each package
Insurance (if required)
Ground (most packages are shipped ground unless otherwise specified)
Basic supplies are provided in the supply room for faculty and staff including:
- Pens and highlighters
- Paper and post-it notes
- Classroom teaching supplies (markers, erasers, chalk)
Stationary is ordered through the main office reception in ES 118. If you need to order safety equipment, please contact our technical manager, Lynne Maillet. Stationary, safety and cleaning supplies cannot be purchased on tri-council research accounts.
Prices listed may be higher than actual cost due to a university discount, please ask reception for more information.
Requests to advertise events, accomplishment or other news can be made through our email lists (below) or for our department monitors (located on the main and second floor of Earth Sciences) all requests must be appropriate for the intended audience and are subject to approval.
Mailman email lists:
(All faculty, staff and graduate students in the Department of Geoscience)
(All geoscience council members)
(All faculty members)
(All geoscience graduate students)
(All geoscience undergraduate students)
Monitors are located on the main and second floor of Earth Sciences lobby. To request a PowerPoint template to be added to a monitor display, please contact Faye Nicholson at (403) 220-8882 or email email@example.com.
- General questions and inquiries
- Assists with mail, shipments, fax and courier packages
- Submits maintenance requests (Archibus) for department general/shared spaces
- Provides keys and issues key refunds
- Handles purchasing (EPRO) requests (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Books car rentals, motor coaches, school buses and department truck (email@example.com)
- Coordinates shipping requests (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Organizes Thursday department coffee meetings
- Bulletin board inquiries/postings
- Orders general office supplies
- Enters TA payroll and completes TA contract letters
- Organizes TA evaluations and USRIs
- Coordinates graduate student defences and candidacies
- Processes casual hire requests
- Administers non-employee reimbursements
- Graduate student contact for open studies registration, switching courses and mail folders
Assistant to the Department Head
- Manages the departments head’s calendar
- Schedules and coordinates department council
- Primary department contact for academic policies and procedures (leaves, APRs and promotions)
- Lead for department event coordination
- Primary contact for undergraduate student inquiries (admissions and registration)
- Registration support (overload, course switching, etc.)
- Provides field school student information/support
- Prerequisite waiver administration
Graduate Program Administrator
- Manages the graduate student program
- Primary contact for prospective graduate program applicants
- Provides support and orientation to new graduate students
- Handles administrative related inquiries for international graduate students
Manager, Administrative Services
- Responsible for main department office operations
- Updates department wide policies and procedures
- Responsible for the departmental budget – planning, budgeting, forecasting, variance analysis, and resource allocation
- Resource for all academic staff on human resources and financial issues, including external funding