Laurence Robert Bentley
Department of Geoscience
Department of Geoscience
PhD - Civil Engineering and Operations Research
Princeton University, 1990
MSc - Geology and Geophysics
University of Hawaii, 1974
BSc - Physics
Hamilton College, 1971
Research and teaching
- Groundwater modelling
- Parameter identification
- Application of geophysical methods to hydrogeology
- Site characterization
- Niazi, A., L.R. Bentley, M. Hayashi (2017) "Estimation of spatial distribution of groundwater recharge from stream baseflow and groundwater chloride", J. of Hydrol., 546, 380-392.
- Christensen, C.W., M. Hayashi, L.R. Bentley (2017) "Scanning Calgary's 'Water Towers': Applications of hydrogeogeophysics in challenging mountain terrain", CSEG Recorder, April, 28-34.
- Callaghan, M.V., F.A. Head, E.E. Cey, L.R. Bentley (2017) "Salt leaching in fine-grained, macroporous soil: Negative effects of excessive matrix saturation", Agricultural Waste Management, 181, 73-74.
- Bentley, L.R., M. Hayashi, E. Zimmerman, C. Holmden, L.I. Kelley (2016) "Geologically controlled bi-directional exchange of groundwater with a hypersaline lake in the Canadian prairies", Hydrogeol. J., 24, 877-892, DOI 10.1007/s10040-016-13680-0.
- Bishop, J.M., M.V Callaghan, E.E. Cey, L.R. Bentley (2015) "Measurement and simulation of subsurface tracer migration to tile drains in low permeability, macroporous soil", Wat. Resour. Res., 51, doi:10.1002/2014/WR016310.
- Quartero, E.M., A.L. Leier, L.R. Bentley, P. Glombick (2015) "Basin-scale stratigraphic architecture and potential Paleocene distributive fluvial systems of the Cordilleran Foreland Basin, Alberta, Canada" Sedimentary Geology, 316, 26-38, dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sdegeo.2014.11.005
- Callaghan, M.V., E. Cey and L.R. Bentley(2014) "Hydraulic conductivity dynamics during salt leaching of a sodic, structured subsoil," Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 78:1563-1574, doi:10.2136/ssaj2014.03.0106.
- Quartero, E.M., D. Bechtel, A.L. Leier, and L.R. Bentley (2014) "Gamma-ray normalization of shallow well-log data with applications to the Paleocene Paskapoo Formation, Alberta," Can. J. Earth Sci., 51, 327-340. dx.doi.org/10.1339/cjes-2013-0148.
- McClymont, A.F., M. Hayashi, L.R. Bentley, B.S. Christensen (2013) "Geophysical imaging and thermal modeling of subsurface morphology and thaw evolution of discontinuous permafrost" , J. of Geophys. Resear.: Earth Surface, 118, 1826-1837, doi:10.1002/jgrf.20114.
- Forte, S.A. and L.R. Bentley (2013b) "Mapping degrading hydrocarbon plumes with self potentials: Investigation on causative mechanisms using field and modeling data", JEEG, 18, 27-42. DOI: 10.2113/JEEG18.1.27
- Forte, S.A. and L.R. Bentley (2013a) "Effect of hydrocarbon contamination on streaming potential", Near Surface Geophys., 11, doi: 10.3997/1873-0604.2012057.
- McClymont, A.F., M. Hayashi, L.R. Bentley and J. Laird (2012) "Locating and characterising groudnwater storage areas within an alpine watershed using time-lapse gravity, GPR and seismic refraction methods", Hydrol. Processes, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.9316.
- Bentley, L.R., G. Langston, A. McClymont (2011) "Effective use of geophysics in hydrologic investigations", GeoHydro 2011, Quebec City, 28-31 August.
- McClymont, A.F., J.W. Roy, M. Hayashi, L.R. Bentley, H. Maurer and G. Langston (2011) "Investigating groundwater flow paths within proglacial moraine using multiple geophysical methods" J. Hydrol., 399, 57-69.
- Langston, G., L.R. Bentley, M. Hayashi, A. McClymont and A. Pidlisecky (2011) "Internal structure and hydrological functions of an alpine proglacial moraine", Hydrol. Processes, 25, 2967-2982, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.8144
- Hayley, K., A. Pidlisecky, L.R. Bentley (2011) "Simultaneous time-lapse electrical resistivity inversion" J. of Applied Geophys., 75, 401-411.
- McClymont, A.F., M. Hayashi, L.R. Bentley, D. Muir and E. Ernst (2010) “Groundwater flow and storage within an alpine meadow-talus complex,” Hydrol. Earth. Syst. Sci., 14, 859-872, doi:10.5194/hess-14-859-2010.
- Burns, E., L.R. Bentley, M. Hayashi, S. Grasby, A. Hamblin, D. Smith (2010) “Hydrogeological implications of paleo-fluvial architecture for the Paskapoo Formation, SW Alberta, Canada: A stochastic analysis,” Hydrogeology J., 18, 1375-1390, DOI 10.1007/s10040-010-0608-y.
- Burns, E., L.R. Bentley, R. Therrien and C. Deutsch (2010) "Upscaling facies models to preserve connectivity of designated facies,” Hydrogeology J., 18, 1357-1373, DOI 10.1007/s10040-010-0607-z.
- Hayley, K., L.R. Bentley and A. Pidilisecky (2010) “Compensating for temperature variations in time-lapse electrical resistivity difference imaging,” Geophys., 75 (4), PWA51-WA59, 10.1190/1.3478208.
- Ferre, T., L. R. Bentley, A. Binley, N. Linde, A. Kemna, K. Singha, K. Holliger, J. Huisman, B. Minsley (2009) “Critical steps for the continuing advancement of hydrogeophysics”, EOS, 90 (23), 200-200.
- Hayley, K., L.R. Bentley and M.Gharibi (2009) “Time-lapse electrical resistivity monitoring of salt-affected soil and groundwater,” Wat. Resour. Res., 45, W07425, doi:10.1029/2008WR007616.
- Hirsch, M., L.R. Bentley and P. Dietrich (2008), “A comparison of electrical resistivity, ground-penetrating radar and seismic refraction results at a river terrace,” JEEG, 13, 325-333.
- Rayner, S.F., L.R. Bentley and D.M. Allen, "Constraining aquifer architecture with electrical resistivity imaging in a fractured geological setting", JEEG, 12(4), 323-335 .
- Moncrieff, J.E., L.R. Bentley and H. Calderon Palma, "Investigating pesticide transport in the Leon-Chinandegea aquifer, Nicaragua", HYDROGEOLOGY J., DOI 10.107/s10040-007-0229-2 .
- Hayley, K., L.R. Bentley, M. Gharibi and M. Nightingale, "Low temperature dependence of electrical resistivity: Implications for near surface geophysical monitoring", GEOPHYS. RES. LET., 34, LI18402, doi10.1029/2007GL031124 .
- Calderon Palma, H. an L.R. Bentley, "A regional-scale groundwater flow model for the Leon-Chninandega aquifer, Nicaragua", HYDROGEOLOGY J., DOI 10.1007/s10040-007-0197-6 
- Zou, Y., L.R. Bentley, L.R. Lines and D. Coombe, "Integration of seismic methods with reservoir simulation, Pikes Peak heavy-oil field, Saskatchewan", THE LEADING EDGE, 25, 764-781 .
- Mrklas, O., L.R. Bentley, S.R.D. Lunn and A. Chu, "Principal component analysis of groundwater chemistry data during enhanced bioremediation", WATER, AIR AND SOIL POLLUTION, 169, 395-411 .
- Zou, Y., L.R. Bentley and L.R. LInes, "Reservoir characterization by combining time-lapse seismic analysis with reservoir simulation" , CSEG RECORDER, 32-37, January .
- Gharibi, M. and L.R. Bentley, "Resolution of 3-D electrical resistivity images from inversions of 2-D orthogonal lines," JEEG, 10, 339-349 .
- Ng, H.T., L.R. Bentley and E.S. Krebes, "Monitoring fluid injection in a carbonate pool using time-lapse analysis: Rainbow Lake case study", The Leading Edge, 24, 530-534 [2005)
- Mrklas, O., A. Chu, S. Lunn and L.R. Bentley, "Degradation of monoethanolamine, ethylene glycol, triethylene glycol in laboratory bioreactors" , WATER, AIR AND SOIL POLLUTION, 159, 249-263, .
- Ndegwa, A.W., R.C.K. Wong, A. Chu, L.R. Bentley and S.R.D. Lunn, "Degradation of monoethanolamine in soil" ,J. ENVIRON. ENG. SCI., 3, 137-145 .
- Berthold, S., L.R. Bentley and M. Hayashi, "Integrated hydrogeological and geophysical study of depression-focused groundwater recharge in the Canadian prairies," WAT. RESOUR. RES., 40, doi:10.1029/2003WR002982 .
- Bentley, L.R. and M. Gharibi, "Two and three-dimensional electrical resistivity imaging at a heterogeneous remediation site," GEOPHYS, 69(03), 674-680 .
- Wong, RCK, L.R. Bentley, A.W. Ndegwa, A. Chu, M.Gharibi and S.R.D. Lunn, "Biodegradation of monoethanolamine in soil monitored by electrical conductivity measurement: an observational approach," CAN. GEOTECH. J., 41, 1026-1037 .
- Zou, Y. and L.R. Bentley, "Time-lapse well log analysis, fluid substitution and AVO," THE LEADING EDGE, 22, 550-556 .
- Meads, L., L.R. Bentley and C.A. Mendoza, "Application of electrical resistivity imaging to the development of a geological model for a proposed Edmonton landfill site," CAN. GEOTECH. J., 40, 551-558 .
- Bentley, L.R. and N.M. Trenholm, "The accuracy of water table elevation estimates from ground penetrating radar", JEEG, 7, 37-53 
- Anfort, S.J., S. Bachu and L.R. Bentley, "Regional-scale hydrogeology of the upper Devonian-lower Cretaceous sedimentary succession, central Alberta Basin, Canada", AAPG BULLETIN, 85, 637-660 
- Huang, X., L.R. Bentley and C. Laflamme, "Integration of production history and time-lapse seismic data guided by attribute zonation", SPE 68819, 7 p. .
- Parks, K.P., L.R. Bentley and A.S. Crowe, "Capturing more geological realism in stochastic simulations of rock systems with Markov statistics and simulated annealing", J. OF SEDIMENTARY RES., 74(4), 803-813 
- Bowles, M., L.R. Bentley, B. Hoyne and D.A. Thomas, "In-situ groundwater remediation using the trench and gate system," GROUND WATER, 38(2), 172-181 
- Achari, G., R.C. Joshi, L.R. Bentley and S. Chatterji, "Prediction of the hydraulic conductivity of clays using the electric double layer theory", Can. Geotech. J., 36, 783-792 .
- Fennell, J. and L.R. Bentley, ``Distribution of sulphate and organic carbon in a prairie till setting: natural versus industrial sources'' , WAT. RESOUR. RES., 34(7), 1781-1794 
- Bentley, L.R., ``Influence of the regularization weighting matrix on parameter estimates'' , ADVANCES IN WAT. RESOUR., 20(4), 231-247 .
- Achari, G., S. Chatterji, R.C. Joshi and L.R. Bentley, "Effect of ion concentration on diffusion through clay", Soil Science, 162, 51-55 .
- Parks, K.P. and L. R. Bentley, ``Derivative-assisted evaluation of well yields in a heterogeneous aquifer'' , CANADIAN GEOTECHNICAL JOURNAL, 33(3), 458-469 .
- Parks, K. P. and L. R. Bentley, `` Enhancing data worth of EM survey in site assessment by cokriging'' , GROUND WATER, 34(4), 597-604 .
- Bentley, L.R., ``A note on the least squares solution of the groundwater flow equation'' , NUMERICAL METHODS FOR PARTIAL DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS, 10, 525-532 .
- Bentley, L.R., ``Solving and calibrating groundwater flow systems with the penalty method,'' STOCHASTIC DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS WITH APPLICATIONS IN HYDROLOGY, Hipel, K. W. (ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 55-67 .
- Bentley, L.R., ``Least squares solution and calibration of steady state groundwater flow systems,'' ADVANCES IN WATER RESOURCES, 16, 137-148 .
- Bentley, L.R. and G.M. Kieper, ``Verification of the Princeton Transport Code (PTC)'', in ENGINEERING HYDROLOGY, proceedings of the symposium sponsored by the Hydraulics Division of the American Society of Civil Engineers, San Francisco, California, July 25-30, 1037-1042 .
- Bentley, L.R. and G.F. Pinder, ``Eulerian-Lagrangian solution of the vertically averaged groundwater transport equation,'' WATER RESOURCES RESEARCH, 28(11), 3011-3020 .
- Bentley, L.R. and G.F. Pinder, ``Eulerian-Lagrangian least squares collocation in multi-spatial dimensions,'' in COMPUTATIONAL METHODS IN GEOSCIENCE, Fitzgibbon and Wheeler (ed.s), 111-141 Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, PA 
- Bentley, L.R. and G.F. Pinder, ``A least squares method for solving the mixed form of the groundwater flow equations,'' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL FOR NUMERICAL METHODS IN FLUIDS, 14, 729-751 .
- Bentley, L.R., A. Aldama and G.F. Pinder, ``Fourier analysis of the Eulerian-Lagrangian least squares collocation method,'' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL FOR NUMERICAL METHODS IN FLUIDS, 11, 427-444 .
- Bentley, L.R., G.F. Pinder and I. Herrera, ``Solution of the advective-dispersive transport equation using a least squares collocation, Eulerian-Lagrangian method'', NUMERICAL METHODS FOR PARTIAL DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS, 5, 227-240 .
- Shor, G.G., Jr., R.W. Raitt, M. Henry, L.R. Bentley, G.H. Sutton (1973) “Anisotropy and crustal structure of the Cocos Plate”, Geofisica Internacional, 13, 337-362.