Graduate Certificate in Software Security
Beginning in September 2020, enhance your career with a 4-course certificate taught by the University of Calgary’s information security experts
Cybersecurity threats are a critical issue facing our digital infrastructure. The Graduate Certificate in Software Security introduces you to the tools, techniques, and mindsets necessary to succeed in the increasingly important field of software security.
Designed for innovative professionals – like you – who are looking to specialize or bolster their careers, the curriculum incorporates theory, information security management skills, best practices, and practical experiences.
With the Certificate in Software Security, you gain the necessary knowledge base and useful skills to develop secure products like apps for mobile phones or Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices. You will learn best practices for developing secure products, and how to defend these products against known and future threats as they are deployed.
Learn the principles of applications security, how to develop secure products, and gain practical experience developing a secure software system or product while applying threat modelling, security design, and security assessment skills.
Why get a certificate in software security?
The Graduate Certificate in Software Security is designed to provide specific, relevant training in ensuring the security of software systems, applications, mobile devices, and smart devices that are part of the Internet of Things (IoT). This program is for professionals looking to upgrade their skills, or recent graduates of an undergraduate program in computer science or a related field who want additional training to progress in their careers.
By the end of the program, you will:
- Gain foundational knowledge in the principles of secure systems: systems security and software applications security.
- Develop a secure software system or product that will be connected to the internet: anticipate potential threats and design options to secure a product.
- Apply existing tools and practices into the software development process in order to enhance the security of their software.
- Apply threat modeling, security design, and security assessment skills in the process of developing an innovative product such as a mobile application or other smart device.
- Recognize the limitations of technical security measures, and strategize and evaluate ways to address gaps, including non-technical solutions such as deployment of policies and programs.
- Communicate system design and security assessment results to a technical audience who may not be security experts.
- Decide on courses of action based on relevant legal and ethical considerations.
The program in software security is a unique graduate-level program. The curriculum for this program was developed by a dedicated team of leading professors and knowledge-creators in network security. As a student, you take full advantage of the expertise from researchers and instructors on the cutting edge of solving software security challenges.
Additional unique features of the program in network security offered by the University of Calgary are the integration of experiential learning, information security management and technical skills.
As a student, you will get hands-on experience developing tools and practice necessary for crafting a secure software system. You will also have the opportunity to take the mobile and smart devices laboratory, and develop your skills in securing software applications for the ever-growing Internet-of-Things (IoT).
Security issues cannot be addressed solely by technical measures; as a student, you will learn essential information security management skills that will enable you to progress in your chosen career path.
In addition to Faculty of Graduate Studies requirements for Admission, successful applicants will meet the following requirements:
A four-year Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognized institution. In addition, candidates must have an undergraduate course in each of the following computer science areas:
- Computer programming with understanding of execution environments (e.g., CPSC 233 or equivalent)
- Algorithms and data structures (e.g., CPSC 331 or equivalent)
- Either Operating systems (e.g., CPSC 457 or equivalent); or Computer networks (e.g., CPSC 441 or equivalent)
See the current Graduate Calendar under Admission > A.1 Qualifications for full details.
English Language Proficiency?
The Information Security program will follow the same guidelines as set out by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. See the current Graduate Calendar under Admission > A.1 Qualifications > 2. for full details.
The tuition for the program is $3,000 per course, for a total of $12,000, for Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. For international students, the tuition for the program is $4,000 per course, for a total of $16,000. Students will also have to pay general fees.
Canada-Alberta Job Grant
The Canada-Alberta Job grant is a training opportunity that can result in an employer receiving funding to assist with training an individual employee. For more information about how you can take advantage of this opportunity, visit the Canada-Alberta Job Grant website.
You will take the following four courses:
- ISEC 605: System and Application Security (Technical)
- ISEC 623: Software Security Laboratory (Technical)
- ISEC 625: Mobile and Smart Device Security Laboratory (Experiential)
One of: (Information Security Management)
The certificate will give you foundational knowledge in the principles of secure systems, systems security, and applications security. You will gain important hands-on experience designing secure products (e.g., software for mobile phones or smart devices) and learn how to enhance the security of your product by applying threat modelling, security design, and security assessment skills. Further, you will be equipped to oversee the management aspects of security solutions, like policies and programs, and be able to clearly communicate problems and how to tackle them. Your skills will be transferable to almost any sector.