Associations offering accreditation
These associations provide third-party validation of your credentials that provides employers and clients with confidence in your skills. It is highly recommended that you seek one or more of these accreditations. You can join as a student at reduced rates, and gain valuable information and networking opportunities about careers, as well as advice for planning your degree to obtain the credentials.
We recommend you subscribe to newsletters of these organizations!
Government regulated accreditation
- Alberta Institute of Agrologists
- Alberta Society of Professional Biologists
- Association of the Chemical Profession of Alberta
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta
Opportunities listed here are not an exhaustive or endorsed list. Posted organizations may have additional opportunities if these particular ones are not available. Similar organizations can also be contacted for volunteering opportunities.
SUPKids School is looking for student volunteers to guest lecture at their Stand Up Paddle Board school in Ghost Lake, AB. SUPKids is a combined course that will teach the sport of paddle boarding and environmental awareness, in particular our precious waterways. Interested students can contact Ellen Sloos for information.
The Ann & Sandy Cross Conservation Area (ASCCA)
The Ann & Sandy Cross Conservation Area (ASCCA) is a 4,800 acre day use natural area. It is located just south west of the city of Calgary in Alberta, Canada. Volunteers opportunities include area stewardship, conservation education, communications, and special project workdays.
Fish Creek Provincial Park
Friends of Fish Creek Provincial Park volunteer opportunities include park watch, wildlife monitoring, invasive species, trail care, special events, and behind the scenes help.
Parks interpreters wanted! These volunteers will help Calgarians to become eco-literate, good stewards of the land, and active participants in the sustainment of parks. Training provided. The program was piloted in Reader Rock Garden, Carburn, Confederation, Prairie Winds, and South Glenmore Parks, Bowmont, Edworthy, and Nose Hill Natural Environment Parks. Visit the City of Calgary's website for more information.
Nature Calgary provides excellent opportunities to learn about plants and animals of southern Alberta. It also posts many volunteer opportunities.
Shark & Marine Research Institute
- Science Internship Program coming Fall 2020
- University of Alberta International Research Experience (UARE-Canada): A paid summer internship program for top Canadian undergraduate students to conduct research at UAlberta under the supervision of leading researchers
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC): Collaborative Research and Training Experience (CREATE) in arctic atmospheric science announces the availability of approximately one dozen summer internships.
- International "Study Abroad" and "RISE - Research Internships for Science and Engineering
Positions listed here are usually offered annually. The current year's information may not be posted when you visit this page, but you can still inquire with the organization.
Most jobs (80%) are found through networking, but the following may also be helpful.
- University of Calgary Career Services
- Environmental Careers Organization Canada
- Canadian Environmental
- Work Cabin Environmental Careers
National job boards:
Nutrient biogeochemistry of prairie pothole wetlands project
Global Institute for Water Security
University of Saskatchewan
Arctic glacial lakes project
Earth Sciences and Environmental Sustainability
Northern Arizona University