The University of Calgary's Rothney Astrophysical Observatory (RAO) is much more than a spot on a picturesque hill in the Foothills of the Rockies - it is a place where Teaching and Research connects with Public Education and Community Engagement. Where else can school children, teachers, community groups, and anyone else with a curiosity for STEM become immersed in an astronomical research facility and engage with astrophysicists-in-training and seasoned scientists? This is our mission, and it happens both under the stars and under the Sun.
The Rothney Astrophysical Observatory Team Astro virtual programs are ready to Go!
We are currently not offering in person programming until 2022. We will be opening in stages according to direction from the University of Calgary. We miss seeing all of you under the stars. Please watch our website for details and updates.
Where to find us
Rothney Astrophysical Observatory
210 Avenue W, Hwy 22 S
Foothills No. 31, AB T0L 1W0
Lat 50.868039 deg N, Long 114.291142 deg W
Directions and Current Weather
The Rothney Astrophysical Observatory (RAO) is located near Priddis, Alberta, about 30 kilometres southwest of the Calgary city centre. It is less than an hour drive from the University of Calgary main campus.
- Take Macleod Trail south.
- Go west on Highway 22X, towards the mountains.
- Continue past Spruce Meadows, past 37 Street, 69 Street and 83 Street to a major intersection where Highway 22X meets Highway 22 (this intersection is illuminated after dark).
- Turn left toward Millarville (heading south).
- About 1.2 kilometres south along Highway 22, look for the RAO sign on the west side of the highway. Then in 30 metres, look to the east side of the highway for the large RAO sign and gate. Drive through the gate and follow the gravel road up the hill to the parking area.
Current weather Conditions
Our Home in the Sky
Podcasts exploring the convergence of science and Indigenous Ways of Knowing
In partnership with Rothney Astrophysical Observatory, IndigeSTEAM Society, Migration Arts Society and Cybermentor
Podcast hosts Blaire Russell and Holliston (Holly) Logan