- An outdoor observation terrace where telescopes are used for undergraduate astronomy teaching and public outreach events. Telescopes include several 8-inch telescopes and a 14-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope. The 14-inch telescope is used with a computerized mount. Associated instrumentation includes self-guiding CCD cameras, white-light and H-alpha solar filters, and a spectrograph.
- A 2,000 square foot multipurpose interpretative centre. It is a state-of-the-art workspace that serves as a lecture theatre and classroom. It is air conditioned and can comfortably accommodate 100 people. It is equipped with educational displays, four general purpose computers, one 40-inch touch screen computer, a 12-foot screen and data projector for presentations, video conferencing equipment and full internet capabilities.
- Classroom, laboratories, workshop, kitchen, shower and sleeping facilities.
- Two microwave links to the internet; one line-of-sight link to the Earth Sciences building on campus and one provided by the Government of Alberta's Supernet program.
- A terminal room with a number of Linux-based computers.
Friends of the Rothney Astrophysical Observatory
The Rothney Astrophysical Observatory is a vital part of the local community, acting as both a University of Calgary research facility and a public education institution. The observatory’s primary purpose is to provide support to science education in Alberta by providing a quality learning environment built on integrated teaching, research and creative activities. We remain committed to the needs of the community.
Our exhibits and programs create a stimulating experiential learning experience with an exhibit program that responds to the interests of our target audience. The observatory houses a collection of telescopes, technology and archival resources which are conserved, researched and interpreted for the public and future generations of Albertans.
We are a not-for-profit organization and your financial support ensures we continue to offer science programming to school and youth groups. The University of Calgary charitable number is 108102864RR001.