Fees and Funding
Learn how to finance your graduate studies and apply for entrance awards.
Financing grad school - what are the costs?
All students admitted to the Department of Biological Sciences will have secured funding to a minimum level of $23,000 per year.
All students who do not hold a major scholarship will be funded through a combination of the following sources:
- Teaching assistantships GA(T)
- Research assistantship (GA(NT))
- Supervisor’s funding through a graduate assistantship (Trust)
On admission, highly qualified applicants are eligible on a competitive basis for as entrance scholarship award of $3000.
Duration of funding:
- The first two years of a MSc program
- The first four years of a PhD program
- The first four years of a combined MSc switching to a PhD program
Graduate Award Competition
Includes Open Doctoral Scholarships, the Izaak Walton Killam Doctoral Scholarships, the Alberta Innovates Graduate Student Scholarships, and Special Awards. Scholarship value: Up to $36,000.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies offers awards to new students through the annual Entrance Competition. To be eligible, you cannot have started your program prior to taking up the award. Scholarship value: Up to $35,000.