Applications will open for January start on February 1
Applications will open for September start on November 1
Application Procedure Steps
To increase your chances of acceptance, you should:
- Become familiar with the research focus of our professors
- Contact Faculty whose research meshes with your interests, if possible.
- Discuss if they would make a suitable supervisor for your graduate program.
To Be Considered For Admission YOU MUST:
List the potential supervisors (at least one) you are interested in working with on your on-line application form. We only consider students for which at least one of our professors has indicated that they will supervise the student.
Note: correspondence with a potential supervisor is not required; however, you must list at least one faculty member you would like as a supervisor.
- INTERNATIONAL: Final Application Deadline – July 1 (Final Documentation Submission Deadline – July 15)
- CANADIAN: Final Application Deadline – September 1 (Final Documentation Submission Deadline – October 1)
- Early Applications (complete application review) - January 15
- Final Application Deadline – March 1 (Final Documentation Submission Deadline – March 15)
- CANADIAN: Final Application Deadline – May 1 (Final Documentation Submission Deadline – June 1)
We encourage early submission of all applications and supporting documents. Most departmental financial aid is awarded in February and March. If your supporting documents arrive late, the prospects for financial support and admission are significantly reduced.
All applicants must submit an official application and pay the application fee.
Applications will be processed only if the fee has been paid. Note: Do not send cash.
You may send a money order, certified check or bank transfer made payable to the University of Calgary. You can also pay by Visa or MasterCard.
The non-refundable application fee is CDN $125.00 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, and CDN $145.00 for international students who will be attending on a Study Permit. Payment instructions will be provided upon submission of application.
Once we receive all supporting documents and the application fee has been paid we will begin to process your application. All hardcopy documents should be sent directly to the department.
- Send two official hardcopies of all mark sheet/transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended, in the original language and in English. If degree status does not show on transcript and you have completed your program, you are also required to send your degree certificate. Documents must be sent to us in an unopened sealed envelope from the issuing institution. Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded via the online application system. Please contact the Graduate Science Centre (email: email@example.com) for information on where to send the official hardcopies.
- At least two Referees have submitted their reference forms and letters. You will provide your referees information in the online application. Your referees will then be notified by email to submit these documents on your behalf. Your referees will submit these documents to the application system. Make sure to sign in to your application often to ensure that your documents have been received.
- Submit all applicable TOEFL, IELTS and/or GRE scores. Again you can upload unofficial scores via the online application system. This will allow us to get started, but we must have official copies prior to the application deadline. Please do not send scores before submitting an application.
- Curriculum Vitae and Statement of Purpose are required for Ph.D. Students (and recommended for M.Sc. students). You can include with your official documents or you can send them via email to the Graduate Science Centre (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include your name and ID# in the email.
When submitting an application, official scores must be sent directly from the testing institution and can only be reported for a period of two years from the testing date. For TOEFL: Institution code -0813; dept. code -78. IELTS please have your score sent to our office.
What's Next? Completed Application Review Process and Notification
1. Complete applications are reviewed to determine if they meet eligibility requirements:
- Eligible applications will be reviewed by potential supervisors listed in your application
- Applications not selected by potential supervisors will then be available for consideration by the rest of the faculty
2. Selected applications will then go to the admissions committee for a final decision. Applications are assessed by considering:
- The match between an applicant's research interests and the department's available resources including supervision
- Competitiveness of academic record including Grade Point Average
- References, experience, projects, papers, and other relevant information
NOTE: This process takes between 6 - 8 weeks after the application deadline.
Contact the Graduate Science Centre (email: email@example.com) to inquire about your application after this processing time.
The Department of Computer Science provides a minimum funding of $24,000 per year for both PhD. and MSc (thesis based) students. The funding is guaranteed for a period of two years for MSc and for a period of four years for PhD. students. The funding is a mixture of a Graduate Assistant Teaching (GAT), supervisor support, and scholarships. In addition to the above funding, international graduate students receive Departmental Differential Fee Award to help them pay their Visa Differential Tuition Fee. For more details about our departmental policy on graduate student funding, please refer to the following document.