Science Teaching Forum
Building our teaching community
- Are you looking for ideas to help you invigorate your teaching and your students’ classroom experience?
- Do you want to know more about how your colleagues teach but haven’t had a chance to catch up with them?
- Have you tried something new in your classroom and want to discuss it? Want to see or share data relating to a pedagogical idea or issue?
The Science Teaching Forum (STF) has been created to help our Faculty community discuss these types of teaching and learning issues. Forums are held in the fall and winter semesters.
These forums are open to everyone in the Faculty of Science including faculty members, graduate students and staff. A speaker presents an issue, activity or idea relevant to teaching and learning, which is followed by a discussion or activity that allows for a broader exploration of the ideas and issues presented. Our goal is to have a balance of both hearing about the experiences of others and sharing your own ideas. This exchange is meant to facilitate communication about teaching and learning in the Faculty of Science.
Monday, March 9, 2020
Presenter: Dr. Jalal Kawash, Teaching Professor, Department of Computer Science
Thursday, April 2, 2020
Presenters: Dr. Kyla Flanagan, Senior Instructor, Department of Biological Sciences and Lisa Stowe, Senior Instructor, Natural Sciences Program
- December 2, 2019 - Dr. Kristine Bauer, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Calgary
- November 7, 2019 - Your teaching matters, make it matter more! - Dr. Heather Dillon
- October 23, 2019 - Not all flips are the same: Using an OER and international partners for active learning - Dr. Brett McCollum
- September 23, 2019 - Program SAGES: Promoting collaborative teaching development through graduate student/faculty partnerships - Dr. Isabelle Barrette-Ng, Teaching Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary View details
- October 10, 2018 - Our Pilot Project Experiences: Adapting Open Access Educational Resources as a Textbook in a First Year Class - Dr. Vivian Mozol(Senior Instructor), Dr. Amanda Musgrove (Instructor), Dr. Nicole Sandblom (Senior Instructor), Department of Chemistry, University of Calgary
- September 25, 2018 - Shuffling Course Components to Increase Student Engagement for Students and Faculty - Dr. Jason Donev, Senior Instructor, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, University of Calgary
- March 13, 2018 - Implementing Self-Evaluation in Teaching Problem Solving Techniques - Dr. Anna Harlick, Instructor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Calgary
- February 15, 2018 - 'Out Standing in the Field': A Signature Pedagogy for all Sciences? - Dr. Rajeev Nair, Senior Instructor, Department of Geoscience, University of Calgary
- January 19, 2018 - Gatekeeping for Mathematics Students: Trial by Real Analysis - Dr. Ryan Hamilton, Instructor, Department of Mathematics & Statistics, University of Calgary