Come in with questions
Make the most of your advising appointment by coming in with purpose and preparing questions ahead of time.
Make sure to write down the answers you receive from your advisor so that you don’t forget the details of your appointment.
Know your deadlines
Seeing an advisor in advance rather than after deadlines pass is important and helps them better assist you.
Put away your phone
Have your phone out of sight and out of mind during your appointment, and turn it on silent to minimize distractions.
Cancel your appointment if you cannot make it
Appointments can be cancelled via phone, text or the QLess app. If you fail to cancel your appointment, your absence will be recorded as a ‘no show’, which may restrict you from booking in the future.
- Graduation and degree requirements
- Change of program
- GPA and academic standing
- Course selections
- Course withdrawals
- Dean’s List
- Academic review and ATP (Academic Turnaround Program)
- Time Conflict
- Taking courses at another institution
- Graduation checks and verification letters
- Admission into graduate school
- Admission into professional programs (dentistry, pharmacy, medicine, optometry etc.)
- Overloading into full classes
- Career advising
Find out who can help! Check out the other resources on campus.
Kick start your success as a student and download the First Year Program Advising Syllabus. It provides detailed information about services and resources available to undergraduate students in the Faculty of Science.
Ask an Advisor
University of Calgary Faculty of Science Program Advisor answers common science degree questions!