Admissions, General Information, and Resources


Simply follow these steps to apply to the University of Calgary. Prior to completing your application, you should review the admissions requirements for the programs you intend to apply to, as the required courses will differ depending on your major selection. You can also contact the Admissions office at (403) 210-7625 with any questions related to admissions.

The required high school courses for admission to the Faculty of Science can be found on the Admissions website. There are no longer any post-secondary course requirements that are necessary to be admitted to a program offered by the Faculty of Science*. We recommend that you speak with an advisor, as many of our first year science courses do require high school prerequisites.

Admission to an honours program or the specialized majors in Biological Sciences require successful completion of at least 30 units (5 full-course equivalents), with the exception of programs which offer direct admission from high school. 

*The Neuroscience multidisciplinary program has specific course requirements for transfer applicants.

You would apply through ApplyAlberta, similar to a high school applicant. Throughout the application process, you will be asked about your academic history, which will indicate your transfer applicant status. Simply follow these steps to apply to the University of Calgary. If you have any questions, please contact our Admissions office at (403) 210-7625.

Current students can submit a request to change their program online through their Student Centre. The change of program process typically opens in October and closes February 1st of each year. You may only submit one change of program request at this time. Applications are submitted for the following Fall term.

Change of Program requests are processed depending on the number of courses students have completed. If you have completed fewer than 12 units (2 full-course equivalents), you may be eligible for admission based on your high school grades. If you have completed at least 12 units (2 full-course equivalents), you must meet the transfer GPA average which can be obtained from an advisor. This transfer GPA is calculated using your most recent courses to a maximum of 30 units (5 full-course equivalents). Some specialized majors, honours programs, etc. have exceptions. Please see a program advisor for more information.

For more information please visit our Science Program Advising page.


No. If you are completing a Change of Program request you may only select one program. If, however, you change your mind prior to the deadline, you can go back into your Student Centre and complete a new application. By doing this, you cancel your previous application. 

Applying for a combined degree or double major does not provide you with a second choice, but requests admission into two programs.

Yes. Students can be admitted to the Faculty of Science in a second degree program. Students cannot be admitted to a second degree program in a field in which they have a previous degree. Students can add a double major or minor to a second degree program. A maximum of 60 units (10 full-course equivalents) from the previous degree may be counted towards the requirements of the second degree. These may not include more than half the minimum number of courses required in the new major field. In many cases, second degree programs in the Faculty of Science will require the student to complete more than 60 units (10 full-course equivalents). Upon admission to the After Degree program, students are advised to contact the Undergraduate Science Centre to obtain an assessment of the requirements for the second degree.

General Information and Resources

Students completing a program in the Faculty of Science should visit the Undergraduate Science Centre for advising for their program. Programs are offered through the following departments: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geoscience, Mathematics and Statistics, and Physics and Astronomy. We also offer multidisciplinary programs including Environmental Science, Nanoscience, Natural Sciences, and Neuroscience.

Students pursuing the Bachelor of Science degree in an area that does not fall into one of abovementioned fields should contact the appropriate advisor for the Faculty that offers their program. For example, students registered in the BSc Psychology, Anthropology, or Archaeology programs should consult with a Faculty of Arts program advisor. Students are subject to the regulations of the Faculty that administers their program, regardless of the degree type. Students completing a combined degree across two Faculties will need to consult advisors for both programs. Program advising contact information across campus can be found here:

Program advisors can provide information about your degree from the point of admission up to graduation. The University has offices on campus dedicated to various aspects of the student experience (including academic development, career advising, student engagement, etc.) You can think of the Undergraduate Science Centre as a launch pad of sorts – your advisors may not have all of the answers, but they can direct you to experts on campus who do.

Advisors can answer questions related to:

Admission requirements to Faculty of Science undergraduate programs

Academic Rules and permissions

Course selection and registration

Degree planning

Program changes

Honours programs

Letter of Permission

Here are some great advising resources to get you started:

First Year Degree Guide  

Academic Calendar         

Schedule Builder

Academic Schedule - Important Dates

Course Registration Guide

Not Science? - Find your faculty

You should determine whether or not you can continue your studies. If you plan to continue your studies, please contact your professors to see if there are any arrangements that can be made regarding your course requirements. If you decide you cannot continue your studies, please withdraw from your courses. In exceptional circumstances, students may be eligible for an extenuating circumstance withdrawal. If you have any questions, please contact your program advisor.

For personal support, you may wish to speak to a counsellor in the SU Wellness Centre.

Should you require financial support, there is emergency financial assistance available to students through the Office of the Registrar.

You may also wish to connect with the Assistant Dean – Student Affairs (403-220-3292) to make them aware of the situation.

If you have any trouble navigating through steps, the Ombudsperson on campus can assist you.

You can use the UCalgary website to explore major programs based on personality traits. The Student Success Centre has an advisor dedicated to assisting students in choosing a major. They will work with you to identify your strengths and areas of interest to help you find a major best suited to you.

Career Services has created degree profiles that identify some possible careers for the various degrees offered by the Faculty of Science. If there is a career you’re interested in pursuing, it’s a good idea to research the qualifications for that career and ensure you are fulfilling necessary requirements with your undergraduate degree.

University degrees are not often specifically tailored towards a specific career the way many college programs are. The knowledge and skills you acquire will help you work toward many careers. Career Services can help you tailor your resume and cover letter for different careers you hope to pursue.

If you are considering professional or graduate schools after your undergraduate degree, you should research the admissions requirements for these programs. There is support in the Student Success Centre for students considering grad school.

Currently, UCalgary does not offer pharmacy, dentistry, optometry, or pre-med programs. Here is some helpful information to start your research on these programs: Becoming a Doctor of Optometry and Canadian Faculties and Schools of Pharmacy. You can take courses here at the University of Calgary toward admission requirements for optometry, pharmacy, dentistry, and med programs. We cannot advise on professional programs in this office.

The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine website lists admissions requirements.

Information about the Cumming School of Medicine at the University of Calgary and its admissions requirements is available on our website.

The Associate Dean, Undergraduate Programs and Student Affairs in the Faculty of Science must verify. 

Phone: (403) 220-5516


Every graduate program is different. You should inquire about specific admission requirements for each graduate program you are thinking of applying to. We cannot advise on graduate programs in this office.

We recommend getting to know your peers, forming study groups, and seeking opportunities to become part of the campus community. There are many opportunities and resources on campus to enhance your academic experience – here are a few good places to start:

Student Success Centre - Peer Assisted Study Sessions, Academic Development Specialist appointments, Study Skills workshops, writing support, math tutoring and much more.

Science Mentorship Program – If you’re a new student, you can learn from the experiences of upper-year students. If you’re an upper-year student, you can help first-year students through their transition into higher education.

Student Leadership and Engagement Office – Leadership opportunities, orientation and transition support, community engagement through service, among many other opportunities.

Clubs – Find your place in a community of students with interests that match yours, or try something new.

Get Involved! Volunteering and Campus Events – There are plenty of ways to get involved with the Student’s Union, varsity sports, and a multitude of volunteer opportunities.

Study Abroad and International Exchange – Travel and earn credit toward your degree! Students can go on an International Exchange, study abroad program, summer study abroad program, and the National Exchange program to broaden their degree internationally.  Students are allowed to transfer a maximum of 60 units (10 full-course equivalents) of credit from their exchange or study abroad program.

SU Tutor Registry – Struggling with your course work? Need assistance preparing for an exam? This registry includes a list of tutors for various subjects. *The Tutor Registry is provided solely as a service to students to use at their own risk. Tutors listed on the Tutor Registry are not employees, contractors, or agents of the University of Calgary or the Students' Union.

Your Professor and Department – Talk to your professor about exam reviews, helpful textbook study guides, and anything else that they would recommend to enhance your learning in their course.

Make Time for Your Mental, Physical, and Emotional Health – The SU Wellness Centre provides health services, counselling services, a Faith and Spirituality Centre, Travel Clinic, and many resources and workshops aimed at keeping students healthy, happy, and balanced. Check out the link for more information on services and your Student Health Plan.

Stay Fit with Active Living – Browse all of the programs and services offered by Active Living to stay in shape during your studies.

Science Internship Program – Participate in 8-16 consecutive months of full time paid work experience. The Science Internship Program allows students to integrate work experience into their degree, establish a network and explore possible career paths.