FAQs - Programs

We offer more than 20 programs across six departments, in addition to our four multidisciplinary programs. A list of the departments and majors offered by the Faculty of Science can be found in the Explore Programs page in the Future Students, Undergraduate section of this site. First year and prospective students can also take a look at the First Year Degree Guide to review recommended first year courses, how to pick a major, and ways to enhance their program.

Students may also complete various minor programs in conjunction with their undergraduate degree program, or explore double majors or combined degrees.

A minor program is a secondary area of study that can be taken in addition to a student’s major program. Students are required to complete at least 30 units (5.0 full course equivalents) as well as any specific requirements to fulfill a minor.  If a student completes a minor it will appear on their transcript. A list of available minor programs is available here.

A science minor can be added to your program at any time by a program advisor at the Undergraduate Science Centre. Add a minor by booking an appointment or sending an email request to usc@ucalgary.ca. Please make sure to include your student ID in all correspondence with advisors. 

Most degrees require the completion of 120 units (20 full-course equivalents). Exceptions to this include any combined degree programs, which require a minimum of 150 units. Usually, a program is comprised of courses in your major field, other required courses, and option courses. For more information on your program requirements, you can visit the online Academic Requirements program through your Student Centre.

The most common degree program offered is a single degree program consisting of 120 units (20 full-course equivalents) with one major field of study. In many cases, it is possible to complete this type of degree program with two major fields of study. This is known as a double major. In order to complete a double major, a student is required to fulfill the requirements of both programs. It is important to consult the University Calendar for acceptable combinations of major fields and work with program advisors to understand requirements for both majors. Upon completion of a double major, a student will receive one parchment with each major listed. A double major can only be completed if both of the programs are offered under the same degree type (e.g. Arts, or Science). Meaning, a student could complete a BSc in Psychology and a BSc in Biological Sciences as a double major, but could not complete a BA in Psychology and BSc in Biological Sciences. Certain double majors may not be permitted. Please check with a program advisor for more information.

A combined degree is similar to a double major in that students must complete the degree requirements of both programs. One primary difference is that students must complete a minimum of 150 units (25 full-course equivalents) in a combined degree. A list of possible combined degrees is provided in the University Calendar. Upon completion of a combined degree, a student will receive two parchments with his or her respective majors.

A maximum of 30 units (5 full-course equivalents) of total withdrawals are permitted at the University of Calgary. A student may only withdraw from the same course once. If you need to withdraw from a course for the second time, you must request permission from a program advisor.

Yes. A “D” grade is considered a passing grade for most courses. However, in order for a course to be used as a prerequisite, a grade of “C-“ or higher must be obtained. Students in the Faculty of Science are allowed a maximum of 6 units (1 full-course equivalents) of D or D+ grades in their major field, and a total of 18 units (3 full-course equivalents) of “D” or “D+” grades in their entire program.

Please note “D” grades can have an impact on your overall GPA, and thus affect your Academic Review.


Students must apply to graduate through their online Student Centre, and should check with a program advisor about current deadlines. Students completing their degree requirements in the Fall term may graduate in February with the option to attend Spring Convocation in June. Students who complete their degree requirements in the Winter term may graduate in June and attend the Spring Convocation. Students who complete their degree requirements in Spring/Summer may graduate in November and attend the Fall convocation. More information on program requirements can be found in the University Calendar.

Yes. Students are allowed a maximum of seven consecutive sessions away from the University of Calgary. If this time is exceeded, then student status is forfeited and you must reapply to the University.

We currently offer co-operative education and internship in the following program areas: Actuarial Science, Applied Chemistry, Ecology, and Computer Science.  For detailed information about specific program areas, please review the information in the academic calendar.           

If your program does not offer a co-op or internship option, you can contact our Co-op/Internship Coordinator to discuss other possibilities.  In some cases, students are able to secure an opportunity with an employer and take a leave of absence from their studies to complete a work term.

Both the Co-operative Education and Internship programs integrate university study with relevant work, by requiring students to complete 12 months of full-timework experience prior to graduation.

  • Co-op students are able to alternate between work terms and academic terms and can typically start their first work term after their second year of study. Terms are available in January, May and September for 4, 8 or 12-month terms.

  • Internship students are required to fulfill their 12 months of work experience consecutively, typically, after their third year of study. Internship students are allowed to complete these 12 months with different employers, as long as the work terms line up so they can be completed consecutively.

The Co-op and Internship program requires a student to complete 12 months of work experience in addition to one’s academic requirements. Since it does not fulfill any existing course requirements, completing a co-op or internship will typically add 12 months to a student’s degree program.

Being enrolled in the Co-op and Internship Program allows you to apply your knowledge and skills, gain a competitive edge through real industry experience, develop your networks, discover career options, and earn a full time salary. The University of Calgary also recognizes your work term as a program requirement and will be reflected on your transcript and parchment as Co-operative Education/Internship designation. For every four month work term, a student will be enrolled in a COOP/INTE course that is the equivalent to 5 courses. This allows the student to be recognized by the university as a full-time student, even though they are not taking any academic courses. Being recognized as a full-time student allows student rates to be applied to UPass, student loans, housing etc.

Alternatively, completing a work term that is not recognized through the Co-op and Internship Program may require student to take time off of their degree. As a result, you will not obtain student status during this time.

The Co-operative education and Internship Program must begin with a study term and end with one. Returning to campus following a work term allows for reflective learning process to take place and completion of the work term requirements.

Students admitted to the Science Co-operative Education and Internship Program are required to pay a $50 admission fee to confirm their position in the program. Course fees are assessed for each course at the time the work-term/course is registered. 

The cost of a four month work term/course is available in the fees schedule in the University of Calgary Calendar.

Keep in mind that you will be earning a full time salary averaging from $16 - $30 per hour.

There are many different ways to get involved with research. Many students interested in research will complete an honours program – honours programs feature a research project in a student’s final year of study, under the supervision of a faculty member. Students can also contact their Department for information about upcoming research opportunities. Finally, many research opportunities are created through the receipt of an award or grant. More information about research opportunities can be found on our website.

To complete your honours project, you will need to find a faculty member who will supervise your project. Determine an area of interest and try to find a faculty member with similar interests. Your department will be your primary resource for information about the project.

If you’re interested in applying to the Honours program of you major, log in to your Student Centre and click on “Change of Program.” Once there, click on “Apply for Honours”. In order to be admissible to the honours program, you will need to have completed at least 30 units (5 full-course equivalents). At the time of admission, you must present (i) a GPA of at least 3.30 calculated over the most recent course work to a maximum of 60 units (10 full -course equivalents), and (ii) a GPA of at least 3.30 calculated for all science courses included in (i) above (University of Calgary courses and/or transferable courses taken at other institutions).