Lab Exemptions


CHEM 201, 203, 209, 311, 315, 351, 353, 371, 373, 431, 433, 453, 471, 515

Students wanting lab exemption from any of the above courses must meet the following requirements:

  • Taken the course at the University of Calgary.
  • Completed all the labs within the last two academic years.
  • Achieved an overall minimum mark of 75 per cent in the laboratory component.

To opt out of a lab from a course that you are already registered in or to enrol in a course without the lab, please use this form.

The Undergraduate Science Centre will process the lab exemption and notify the appropriate instructor with the student’s grade. The lab grade achieved on the previous attempt will be carried forward.

Requests for a lab waiver must be received before the communicated deadline. All eligible requests will be processed by the deadline to add or swap a course.

Please speak with an advisor in the Undergraduate Science Centre if you require further information or if you do not know your lab mark.


  • Students registered in CHEM 201 can use their lab grade from CHEM 211. Students registered in CHEM 203 can use their lab grade from CHEM 213.
  • Students who are lab exempt are still responsible for the laboratory content. The content may appear on exams or assignments.
  • CHEM 555 and 575 cannot be exempted.